DataWriter Data Type....

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
SK
DataWriter Data Type....

I am trying to create a datawriter whose datatype is array in a cluster. But, LabVIEW is showing it as a broken arrow.

The DLL used is lvdds1.0.dll.

sara's picture

Hi SK,

Yes, you can create an array that is contained in a cluster and connect it to the DataWriter. Managing arrays in LabVIEW, however, is pretty tricky. Here you can find and article about how to handle arrays in LabVIEW.

Let me know if you have any problem getting your cluster sent :)
Thanks,

Sara

related question...

I am trying to create a writer with a datatype of type cluster.  it seems i can do this via the LVDDS_WriterNode_create in lvdds.1.0.dll but i cannot do this via the CreateWriter VI because it only accepts primative types as a datatype.  Is this correct?  Any insight?

sara's picture

Hi JayC,

That is correct. If you want to use complex types (as clusters), you cannot use the Create Writer subVI with the fancy icon. This is due to a limitation in LabVIEW when creating the polymorphic VIs. Sadly, this is beyond our control. To facilitate the cluster integration, we have create some templates for you (see image).

Cluster template

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if you have any other doubts.

Thanks,

Sara

Thank you. I figured that yesterday but wanted to confirm.  Are there any other RTI VIs not loaded into a pallete that may be useful?

sara's picture

Hi JayC,

We have added all our subVIs to the palette. Those subVIs and the shipped examples are all the VIs provided by the RTI DDS Toolkit. The shipped examples can be found using the NI Example Finder (search for DDS, for instance).

We are constantly looking for feedback to improve our products, so if you think we are missing some VIs, please tell us!

Thanks,

Sara