Streaming video data over RTI Connext DDS

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Streaming video data over RTI Connext DDS

Hi,

I was trying to test the "RTI Use Case for Streaming Video Data." I followed the instructions:

1. Installed RTI Connext DDS.

2. Compiled the application (Windows 7/ 32bit).

When I ran the Video Publisher, it always failed with "Error creating file source." However, the video file is available in the resource directory. At this moment, I cannot understand why this could happen. Any idea? Thank you!

rose's picture

Hello! 

A quick question: are you running the application using the VideoPublisher.bat file, or by running the .exe directly?

The error you are seeing is not because the file itself is not found, but because the GStreamer video framework is failing to create a video source that can load a file.  One possible reason for that is if some of the GStreamer plugin .dlls are not in the path.  This surprises me, though, because it should fail sooner in that case.

Also, can you set the GST_DEBUG  environment variable to print out more debug information about the GStreamer framework?  Setting the environment variable to 5 should print a lot of output.

Thank you!

Rose

Hi Rose,

Thank you for your responses.

I ran the app using the bat file so the path to the GST libraries should be all set. As suggested, I set GST_DEBUG  environment variable and did see more debug messages. At the end I see the following related messages:
gst_element_factory_find: no such element factory "filesrc"

gst_element_factory_make: no such element factory "filesrc"!

Error creating file source

Failed to initialize video

Does this give any hints?

Thank you very much

rose's picture

You are very welcome!

Can you try setting this environment variable?

GST_PLUGIN_PATH to the ExampleCode\thirdparty\gstreamer-sdk\win32\0.10\x86\lib\gstreamer-0.10 directory?

It looks like on some versions of Windows it does not find the plugins directory.

Thank you,

Rose

After I set the gst plugin path, the app works well. Thank you very much!

rose's picture

You are welcome!  I will update the batch file on Windows to set that environment variable.