How to configure RTI application in order to use RTI Monitor

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
How to configure RTI application in order to use RTI Monitor

Hi !

I want to use RTI Monitor and I don't know how to configure my application, giving that I'm working in a windows XP Platform.

Thank you in advance.

Hi,

I am in the same issue as you are. If you figure out how to use RTI monitor in a windows XP platform, please let me know. And, i would like to communicate with you about how to use RTI to develop project. I am not support of RTI, just a normal developer who are using RTI.

ken
ken's picture

Hi azammeli and lamar,

I'm Ken Brophy from RTI. There are two steps to being able to use Monitor. The first is to enable your monitoring in your application and the second is to run the GUI to see the data. 

Enabling monitoring in your application is done through QoS. There are two QoS you need to get started. Here's an example with an XML file:

<qos_library name="LaunchSystemLibrary">
    <qos_profile name="LaunchSystemProfile">
        <participant_qos>
            <property>
                <value>
                    <!-- enable monitoring -->
                    <element>
                        <name>rti.monitor.library</name>
                        <value>rtimonitoring</value>
                    </element>
                    <element>
                        <name>rti.monitor.create_function</name>
                        <value>RTIDefaultMonitor_create</value>
                    </element>
                </value>
            </property>
        </participant_qos>
    </qos_profile>
</qos_library>

Of course, the same QoS could be applied in source code. Also, if you are statically linking your application (only in C & C++), then you will need to also link in the monitoring library and add a bit more code to your application (to give us a function pointer that we need to kick monitoring off). These details are in our distribution under docs/pdf/RTI_Monitoring_Library_GettingStarted.pdf.

The Monitor GUI is the other piece of the puzzle. There are a few ways to run it on Windows XP. You can find it in the 'Start' menu under RTI45d -> RTI Professional Edition 4.5d Components -> RTI Monitor 1.0.1 -> RTI Monitor. You can also launch it from our Launcher. This can be found under the 'Start' menu at RTI45d -> RTI Professional Edition 4.5d Launcher. The Monitor is one of the choices on the 'Tools' tab of the Launcher. Also, you can go to the software distribution and locate the RTI Monitor folder. Under it is a scripts folder with scripts for both Windows and Linux.

Once you get it running, there is a video of some of the ways it can be used. RTI's videos are here: http://www.rti.com/resources/videos.html  This is the direct link to the Monitor one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCHz0xiOJ0M

I hope this is helpful.

Thanks,
Ken

Hi!

I added the code to the xml file and i followed the monitoring library guide's instructions  but the problem persists.

RTI Monitor didn't show performance values ...

I don't know if there is an other configuration to do ?

Can you explain me with details how to configure it.

Thank you for helping me.

ken
ken's picture

My apologies Amira, I thought I'd get an email if there was activity on the subject. Most likely you've found a solution to this problem but I did want to apologize for the lack of a response.