create participant error on Intel NUC x64

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
create participant error on Intel NUC x64

Hello,

I try to run the Hello_simple CPP-example from RTI 5.1.0 (RTI_Connext_DDS_Professional-5.1.0-RHEL6_64_lic.sh) on an Intel NUC (Core i5) running Ubuntu 14.04 x64.

While compilation (Library: x64Linux3.xgcc4.6.3) with g++ 4.8.2 works fine, I get the following error when I try to run the application:

[CREATE Participant]COMMENDActiveFacade_new:!precondition
[CREATE Participant]PRESParticipant_new:!create facade
[CREATE Participant]DDS_DomainParticipantPresentation_initialize:!create participant core
[CREATE Participant]DDS_DomainParticipant_createI:!create presentation participant
[CREATE Participant]DDS_DomainParticipantFactory_create_participant_disabledI:!create participant
DDSDomainParticipant_impl::create_disabledI:!create participant
DDSDomainParticipant_impl::createI:!create participant
DomainParticipantFactory_impl::create_participant():!create failure creating participant
Unable to create domain participant.
Exiting...

I always get exactly this error messages, indepentent of the RTI application I'm trying to start. (tried with other example-programs)

But the compiled programs work absolutely correctly if I copy them to a virtual machine and start them in there (VirtualBox running the exact same Ubuntu 14.04 x64 version).

I reinstalled RTI on the NUC but got the exact same error messages. Running it with sudo doesn't change anything, too.

So I don't understand where this error messages come from.

So maybe there is a hardware incompatibility between RTI and the Intel NUC?

I would be very pleased to get to get help here.

Greetings

Mathias

OK, the solution was hard to find, but here it is:

The Ethernet cable wasn't plugged in! My intention was to test the applications locally on the NUC and not over the Ethernet.

In the virtual machine there was a virtual network connection established and so the applications worked fine there.

RTI 5.1.0 is definitely lacking an error message for the case that no established ethernet connection is available.

An established ethernet connection is not necessary for local testing, because RTI could use the loopback interface (127.0.0.1)!

With the error messaged of my first post you'll never know, that a missing ethernet connection is causing the "create participant error".

Is there an RTI-file I can include or a variable I can change to make local testing of an application without an established ethernet connection possible?

Thanks in advance!

Mathias

Does nobody know if it is possible to change the baviour of RTI to make local testing without an established ethernet connection possible?

Thanks in advance!

rip
rip's picture

turn off the builtin ethernet transport, and just use shmem.

for example:  https://community.rti.com/forum-topic/share-memory-only-setting

Thanks! I will try this out!