Casting dds::core::vector<dds::core::string> to std::vector<std::string>

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Casting dds::core::vector<dds::core::string> to std::vector<std::string>

Hi

I have an IDL file like below:

module myIDL {  struct payload { sequence name; sequence value; string moduleName; //@key }; // end of payload}; // end of module 

In my code, I want to cast the received data from my data writer like below:

std::vector names = data.name();

But I will get the following error; " error: conversion from 'rti::core::vector<dds::core::basic_string<char, rti::core::memory::OsapiAllocator > >' to non-scalar type 'std::vector<std::basic_string >' requested"

and I have to do the casting with a for loop as follows:

std::vector<std::string> names; for (int i = 0; i < data.names().size(); i++) { names.at(i) = data.name().at(i); }

Is there any way to do the casting?

Best Regards,

Bonjefir

Any Answer?

Hi,

Automatic conversion works for strings and vectors of primitive types, but it doesn't work for vectors of strings. However you can easily achieve the same result with std::copy:

std::copy(rti_vector.begin(), rti_vector.end(), std::back_inserter(std_vector));

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your email. But your implementation of std::vector is a little strange. Assume you want to insert a string in your vector ( suppose the vector "name" in "myIDL" (First post) ). How would you do that? You do not have "insert", "push_back", or "assign". This situation is also true for getting a value of your vector. You don't have "pop_back", "erase" . 

So How should I fill my vector?!! I think the only way is to creating a std::vector<std::string> and fill it, then cast it to dds::core::vector<dds::core::string>. Am I right? I am not a professional programmer so excuse my question if it is a bit dummy. :)

thanks in advance for your help.

Bonjefir

You you may have to play with resize() to fill up the vector or shrink it. If you need to do insertions in the middle or something more complicated I recommend using a std::vector and copy into the RTI vector.