Restricting communication to a DataReader from a single DataWriter.

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Restricting communication to a DataReader from a single DataWriter.

What is the best practice to implement the scenario described in the subject line?  I understand the Ownership QoS setting, but I need to ensure that DataWriter created by a particular application will be the only one to have access to publish on that topic.  I do have the secure plugins, so that is an option.  We have looked through the documentation, but there is nothing staring us in the face on how to properly implement this.  Your insight is greatly appreciated.  

Gerardo Pardo's picture

Hi,

I would need a bit more information before making a recommendation. What is the criteria for this restriction? and who is deciding who is allowed and who is not? 

When you say the "security" plugins you mean the new "Connext DDS Secure" is this right? If so it would seem that you could do it by defining a governance document that protects the Topic and assigning permissions that allow only the one DataWriter you want to write.

Gerardo

Gerardo,

Thank you for the reply.  I will try to explain this as best as I can.  I will have a topic where only a single subscriber exist.  This subscriber will be receiving commands that could possibly lead to injury in the event of incorrect data.  To ensure that it receives the correct information, we want to ensure that it can only receives from a publisher that we have "paried" with it.  I understand the ownership QoS, but we don't want any other publisher to ever write to that topic.

Yes, you are correct, we have the "Connext DDS Secure" plugins.  I will look into the governance document now.  Again thank you for the help.

I apologize if I am incorrectly using the terminoloy of DDS. I have extensive ROS experience, and I am trying to change my mindset in regards to publishers, subscribers, dataReader, and dataWriter.