DDS Output Ports

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
GS
DDS Output Ports

Hello,

In the attached picture there are the standard 7400, 7410, 7411... ports that are the DDS reception ports (Defined according to https://community.rti.com/kb/what-network-port-numbers-does-rti-connext-use).
The other 4 ports for each app are dynamically defined upon application initialization. 

Is there a method to control the port numbers that are used for data output (on the DDS level)?
What is the functionality of each one of those 4 ports?

Thank you,
Gal

Ports

Gerardo Pardo's picture

Hi Gal,

The source port for the UDP sockets is picked automatically by the operating system. Our UDP transport does not try to configure the source ports as the specific value normally does not matter... Can you explain a bit the use case that would require you to be able to configure the source ports?

I think to do this we would require an extension of the UDP transport plugin...

Gerardo

GS

Hi Gerardo,
This a security related use case. I want to be able to block the OS used local ports and to be able to statically determine which ports are allocated for each of my application on my machine. 

Regardless of that, what is the functionality of each one of those 4 ports?

Thank you,
Gal

Sandra Rodriguez's picture

Hi Gal,

Connext DDS will try to create receive resources for every port of every transport on which it is configured to receive messages. The number of ports that Connext DDS will need to use for receiving messages will depend on your configuration for the TRANSPORT_UNICAST, TRANSPORT_MULTICAST, and DISCOVERY QoS Policies. You can take a look at Section 19.3 “Receive Threads” of the User’s Manual for further details.

Regards,

Sandra

Hi
We are implementing a development under Windows OS, and it is very important for us to prioritize packages through Qos policies. Since Windows does not accept dscp marking, it would be necessary to be able to establish the source port of each datawriter. Is any modification planned to allow this?
Víctor