Connectivity problems

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Connectivity problems

I would appreciate some suggestions regarding connectivity. 

In short, my connectivity is fine when my client and server are running on the same system (a windows system on which the Admin console is also running), but when I move the server to another system (a linux arm8 system), the Admin Console can see both of them and all of their topic informaiton, but can only see the data traffic from the client (which is still on the system running the Admin Console). 

At this point, the client thinks it's sending packets, and the Admin Console sees those packets, but the server cannot see them.  The server sends packets that no one else can see.

There is a small netgear switch between them.

Wireshark, run from a third system using port mirroring on the switch, shows tons of traffic between the two systems, some multicast, some point-to-point.  There are some DATA(p) packets and some DATA packets, but the wireshark guide suggests that DATA(m) would represent a point-to-point data, and I don't see any of those.

It seems like I might have an issue with my topic/QoS.  How can I tell what is going on here?  

This "resolved itself" after a while.  I must have had something in my code that was eventually fixed.

For posterity, what helped was to run the program locally between two applications.  Then run one of those applications on another node - making sure it was the same architecture, and in fact the same code.  

That is, making sure it works locally first, then changing as few things as possible, and verifying functionality each time, as one migrates to a more complicated network topology.