on_data_available:!Failed to create DomainParticipant

4 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hi everyone,

As the subject says, part of the error message I get is said message. The complete message is following:

[CREATE Participant] DDS_DomainParticipantGlobals_is_operation_legalI:ERROR: This operation is illegal in callback
[CREATE Participant] DDS_DomainParticipantFactory_create_participant_disabledI:INTERNAL ERROR: illegal operation

Now that this is out of the way, please allow me to add some story to this, so it makes sense.

I have a GUI, which sends a message to a listener. When the on_data_available of the listener is called, I can receive the samples and do some processing on it. The processing is happening in a callback, I have to mention.

Now, here is where the problem is happening. When I do some processing and leave it as such, then everything is fine. When I try to send the message I received to another endpoint, then I get the above message.

Does anyone have an idea why it fails to create a DomainParticipant? Or is creating a DomainParticipant generally not allowed in the on_data_available function?

jmorales's picture

I think the first mistake is that in general, no processing should be done in a callback, and specifically no write() operations should be performed. This is stated in our best practices for Listeners:

https://community.rti.com/static/documentation/connext-dds/5.3.0/doc/manuals/connext_dds/html_files/RTI_ConnextDDS_CoreLibraries_UsersManual/Content/UsersManual/BestPracticesListeners.htm

Now, some operations are directly illegal to be done in a callback, you can check the list here.

https://community.rti.com/static/documentation/connext-dds/5.3.0/doc/manuals/connext_dds/html_files/RTI_ConnextDDS_CoreLibraries_UsersManual/Content/UsersManual/Restricted_Operations_in_Listener_Callba.htm

Oh wow, I did not see that. Thank you so much for those links.

Is there a procedure I can after on_data_available is finished and returned somehow? Is there something provided?

I figured out a way to fix the problem. Thank you again for your help!

jmorales's picture

Hi again,

Using listeners is only one way to access the data in your DataReader, you actually have 3 ways: Polling, Listeners and Waitsets.

See here an article about that in general we recomend the use of waitsets except when you are looking for lower latencies. I think, in general you will like this approach better than the use of Listeners.

Let us know if that helps. Else, let us know your use case so we can think about a solution.