RHEL 7.5 Bonded interfaces

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
RHEL 7.5 Bonded interfaces

Hi.   I am using RTI Connext DDS 5.3  with Red Hat 7.5

For various reasons we are PCs that have several different interface files defined, all with ifcfg files.  Each interface has a config, and there are also subsequent vlan tags for various interfaces.

it can look something like

ifcfg-eth0

ifcfg-eth0.10

ifcfg-eth0.11

ifcfg-eth0.12

In my DDS QOS profiles, I have my initial peers list set to the specific IP addresses, on the specific VLAN i want to use. I also have denied and allowed interfaces set up to only allow the specific vlan I want to use.  Also in this configuration, no default route is set.  And it all works just fine.

I have several PCs that have a similiar configuration, except they are using a mode 1:active backup bond.  In this case you can replace eth0 in the files above with bond0.  The bond is what is vlan tagged.

ifcfg-bond0

ifcfg-bond0.10

ifcfg-bond0.11

ifcfg-bond0.12

In this configuration, I have connectivity to all of my vlans via ping tests and ssh tests among other things, but DDS fails to communicate.  I don't have any additional modifications for my QOS file, but the IP addresses are all the same.  The only difference is the IP is assigned to the Bond,  and in this case eth0 and eth1 are slave devices to bond0 (master).  I am fairly certain this is a dds bug.    I have verified my bond is working, and when using the rtiddsshapes demo at verbosity 5 I can see that the bond interface is found, but is returned with a  not a valid IP error. 

By removing the bond, and vlan tagging the interfaces directly on those PC's the problem goes away, but this is not ideal for our Hardware requirements.

It appears the error is not with bond0, but with another bonded set of interfaces I have on my system, which are inactive.  I was able to have success by removing the second bonded interface. 

It shows up as down in /proc/net/bonding/bond1  and in >ip addr so I am surprised dds is seeing this and tripping up on it.  I will do more research and report back.