Integrating DDS into existing application

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Integrating DDS into existing application

There is a desktop application that is already compiled and I cannot access the source code.  This application generates real flight data and provides the opportunity to send this data to desired sockets over the network.

I can send this data to a program that I wrote by the classical client-server method. But I want to do this using DDS.

In all the examples I studied to learn, the publisher and subscriber were created by the programmer. But in my example, the publisher's source codes are not accessible.

In this case, can I integrate DDS into my project?

You can look into RTI Routing Service. It allows writing adapters to bridge DDS and non-DDS systems. 

https://community.rti.com/static/documentation/connext-dds/current/doc/manuals/routing_service/introduction.html

Sorry, I'm new to this. It looks like I have a lot to learn :) But I quess I understand the DDS working logic. 

To use DDS, settings like QoS and Topic must be the same on both the publisher and the subscriber side. It is easy to make these settings in my application that I created and will subscribe. But I can not access the source codes of the publisher application, so I cannot set parameters such as QoS and Topic for data communication.

The question I want to ask is this:
Is there a way to directly connect to the application domain of the publisher app without defining QoS and Topic?
Is this sufficient to provide DDS connection?
Can Routing Service solve this problem?

My questions may seem simple, but I'm trying to learn. I would be glad if you answer

Thanks

If the publisher application already uses DDS you need to find out what domain ID, topics and Qos settings it uses so you can configure your subscriber accordingly. You can use several tools, from rtiddsspy to inspect the data in the command line, to Admin Console to inspect topics, Qos, etc.

Alex