Missing MSVCR100.dll; keep having to reinstall RTI tools

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Missing MSVCR100.dll; keep having to reinstall RTI tools

Does this keep happening to anyone running RTI Launcher? It work fine after installing, but when I have to reboot my machine, it throws this error and I have to reinstall.

The reinstall process is eating a lot of my time.

Howard's picture

You can try to install the missing file from "Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package MFC Security Update" which you can download from here

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26999

Not sure why your reboot process gets rid of the file...

Howard's picture

BTW, RTI Launcher is actually Java-based and uses javaw.exe from

rti_connext_dds-6.0.1\resource\app\jre\x64Win64\bin

by default.  And if you look in the bin directory, there is an MSVCR100.dll file there.

The rti_connext_dds-6.0.1\bin\rtilauncher.bat script is use to start the launcher.

However, if you have JREHOME set to a different JRE installation, it will use that instead of the one that is distributed with RTI Connext DDS.

So, you either have to install the MSVC 2010 redist file or make sure RTI Launcher is started with the java that comes with Connext DDS.

I will verify this.

I'm not doing anything special here though. I have RTI Connext installed to a clean Windows 10 virtual machine along with VS 2017 and I'm running everything with out-of-the box configuration.

Howard's picture

Well, when you run RTI Launcher, you should be able to see which javaw.exe is being called to run RTI Launcher via the task manager:

right click on "javaw.exe" to bring up the menu and select "Open file location".

This should bring up the following folder...and in the same folder, there should be a mscvr100.dll.

Does your environment define a JREHOME?

You can try to trace rtilauncher.bat by adding echo's to see exactly what command it's using to start RTI Launcher.

I didn't need to echo what the rtilauncher.bat does cause it worked immediately.
The issue seems to be with the executable that installs a shortcut to my start menu.

The start menu entry is what I've been trying to use.

Howard's picture

OK, I missed that we had a small executable (which basically starts Java) at the top level of the install directory, rti_connext_dds-6.0.1\bin\RTILauncher.exe.

All this executable does is pretty much what the .bat does and starts javaw.exe.

However, it was built with MSVC 2010 and so you need to installed the redist file for MSVC 2010, which installation of Windows will need.  I provided a link earlier: "Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package MFC Security Update" which you can download from here

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26999

That should install the file into C:\Windows\System32\nsvcr100.dll.

This is a general windows issue.  Exes that are build with a certain version of Visual Studio require the specific runtime libs of that version of Visual Studio...which is where the "redist" files come into play.  But once your system has the resdist files for Visual Studio 2010 or 2012 or 2015, etc., then all exes built with that version can find their system dlls.

In your situation, you have a vanilla VM and probably haven't installed any Redist files.  I thought that our installer offered to install the redist files that it needed (generally installers on Windows will either automatically install the redist or offer to do so).  So you need to install the redist into your VM. 

If you're recreating your VM or aren't able to modify your VM in a permanent way, then you'll perpetually have this issue.

Of course the workaround is to use the rtilauncher.bat file and not try to start the RTILauncher.exe.