Recording service performance figures

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Recording service performance figures

Hi,

I wonder is there any numbers for the RTI Recording service performance-wise? For example, maximum number of samples can be recorded per second, maximum data thoughput (GB/s) can be recorded, maximum file size, etc.? Does RTI measure any kind of metrics? What would you recommend if we want to measure them on our system?

Thanks!

PK_RTI's picture

Hello, I'm an RTI Applications Engineer, and am reaching out to Community members trying to provide more detailed answers. 

I've got some presentations from when we upgraded the Recording Service from Connext 5.3.x to 6.x.x, and one slide that is appropriate. This is unofficial, as any performance numbers tend to be. With variablitiy of processing power and operating systems, coming up with precise benchmarks for all customer configurations is impossible. But for comparison, these benchmarks should be reasonably useful.

See the attachment to this post for the slide.

If you have any questions at all, feel free to reach out to me at pk@rti.com.

Howard's picture

The speed of the disk is a huge part of the performance equation for Recording Service.

And it's not just the absolute write speed, it's the write speed for the size of the data that's being stored.

Generally speaking, an SSD is much faster than a spinning harddisk...but GB/s is not gonna be the units you would be using to measure either...

I think SSDs are in the 600-700 MB/sec max write speeds at this time.

Hi @PK_RTI,

Thanks for your response. I've decided to reach you via your email for further questions, but I'm not sure if the email reach you or not. So I'd like to restate it here.

As you said, the performance numbers varies from system to system, depending on the processing power, OS, etc.. Therefore, in order to get the precise number in our case, we should do the benchmark on our system. 

I'd like to know how RTI perform the benchmark to get performance numbers as you shared in your forum post. Could you share with us the methodologies and code/tools that RTI used so we can re-run on our system?

Thanks a lot! 

Hi Howard,

I understand that the performance depends on the hardware setup of the system. Therefore I'd like to ask for your recommendation on how the benchmark should be done so we can do it on our system by ourself. Could you share any guideline, test scripts, code or tools that can be used to do the benchmark?

Thank you.