How to get status of domain routes?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
How to get status of domain routes?

Hi there,

How do I get the status of domain routes programatically? AKA, I would like to recieve status change events in case one is not 'healthy' or changes state.

Howard's picture

You have to use the remote monitoring "interface", which uses DDS Topics to receive status updates.

https://community.rti.com/static/documentation/connext-dds/6.1.1/doc/manuals/connext_dds_professional/services/routing_service/monitoring.html

Thank you Howard, that worked.

I now get get the events that I need, however I do not get the entity associated with the event. Ie: the name of a domain route/session/routing service/etc

Is there a way that I can get the name of the entity from the event?

IE:  const RTI::RoutingService::Monitoring::Event& event = registeredEvent.data();

Is there a way to get the name of the entity from this event?

Howard's picture

Well, you basically have to traverse the structure (using an IDE like Visual Code or Eclipse is quite helpful to do this easily)

RTI::RoutingService::Monitoring::Eventderives from  RTI::Service::Monitoring::KeyedResource

so

event.object_guid

identifies the object for which the event is being reported.

But to convert the GUID into something human recognizable, you need to also subscribe to the ConfigDistributionTopic and cache the information that you receive from that, e.g., create a map from the GUID to the associated Config data, that GUID from the Config data would correspond to the GUID of that you get from the Event data

RTI::RoutingService::Monitoring::Config also derives from RTI::Service::Monitoring::KeyedResource

RTI::RoutingService::Monitoring::Config config;

config.object_guid<-->  event.object_guid

and  config.value is a union of the configurations of the different entities...and using the union discriminator, config.value._d, you can determine what kind of entity is represented by the object_guid,

and for example, if it's a RouteConfig, then

config.value.routing_route.resource_id

would have a string value that is the Resource Identifier.

https://community.rti.com/static/documentation/connext-dds/6.1.1/doc/manuals/connext_dds_professional/services/routing_service/common/resource_model.html#resource-identifiers

While a bit complicated...and you have to do the caching of information to be looked up later, this minimizes the amount of data that has to be sent when an event occurs or on a periodic basis.

Hi Howard,

Thank you for your explanation.

The only problem I am experiencing now is that if the above services are already running, I am not able to get config events from them. Here is my readcondition. Is there a better implementation I should consider?

dds::sub::cond::ReadCondition read_cond(*configReader, dds::sub::status::DataState::any(),
Howard's picture

This is a general issue for any application that starts after another application has already been sending data.  How to get the data that was sent before discovery was completed?

All of the Monitoring topics in RTI Routing Service are created with TRANSIENT_LOCAL Durability kind.

https://community.rti.com/static/documentation/connext-dds/6.1.1/doc/manuals/connext_dds_professional/services/routing_service/configuration.html?highlight=durability#tablemonitoringtag

And so to get the past data automatically sent upon discovery, you need to create your DataReaders with the same Durability.