DDS Python API - Send data periodically

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
DDS Python API - Send data periodically

Hello @all,

Is there any possibility to configurate a data writer in the qos configurations to send data periodically over the DDS bus?
If yes, how can I configurate this in the xml qos settings?

Thanks in advance and regards,

Marc

Howard's picture

Sorry, no.  That's not possible with how DDS works.  User application logic is in sole control of when new data values are provided to DDS to send, i.e. DataWriter::write() is called.  There is no automated mechanism, and thus no QoS configuration, to have DDS periodically get data from a variable and send it.

Hello Howard,

Does that mean that if I want to send data periodically, I have to call the DataWriter::write() method in a loop? Or is there another way? Because I want to have the write processes running in the backround and not inside a loop.
Whats about the period configuration inside deadline settings (see below). Wouldn't it be possible to send data periodically by configurating this tag?

<deadline>
         <period>
            <sec>DURATION_INFINITE_SEC</sec>
            <nanosec>DURATION_INFINITE_NSEC</nanosec>
         </period>
</deadline>

Regards,

Marc

Howard's picture

Yes, you have to call DataWriter::write() in a loop.

The Deadline.period QoS does not control when DDS sends data.  It is offered as a way for DDS to tell user applications when applications are not sending or receiving data for a Topic at an expected rate.