Keep data from dds.DynamicData.DataReader after loan

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Keep data from dds.DynamicData.DataReader after loan

I am trying to make a wrapper for our developers to use when doing unittests. Like expected, loaded of type "LoanedSample" is lost when going out of function context. What I would like to do is to use the get_dictionary-method, but I cannot get it to work. I have tried doing a deepcopy of the DynamicData-object(Does not work).

Is there a preffered way to get a snapshot of the data, when being a "LoanedSample"?

I forgot to add, this if for rti.connextdds python package. The solution for c/c++ is well documented.

See https://community.rti.com/forum-topic/python-sequence-memory-management

Also, in 7.1.0 the read/take APIs for DynamicData will change significantly and the regular read/take operations will return copies, not loans.

Thank you alexc for your response. It is good that this will be changed in subsequent versions. We will probably be on the current version for a while as an uplift operation in a big organisation is always a bit cumbersome. When I test your suggested solution, I still remain with the same problem though. Let's share some code: 

--------
def convert_to_deepcopy(indata : dds.DynamicData):
  return dds.DynamicData(indata)

def get_latest_data(pattern : str):
  #A reader based on the pattern is created.
  states = state_reader.take() #Type is 'rti.connextdds.DynamicData.LoanedSamples'
  # states[len(states) - 1].data <--- rti.connextdds.DynamicData
  copy = convert_to_deepcopy(states[len(states) - 1].data)
  #Code fails, the copy is probably returned
return copy

def process_data()
  #For below functions I expect a static data object to be returned.
  data_1 = get_latest_data("dumb_data_pattern_1")
  data_2 = get_latest_data("dumb_data_pattern_2")
  #Data is processed below

--------

I would like to get a dict or something similar out of the DynamicData, a deepcopy. Is this possible?