Data import/export from a DDS system

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Data import/export from a DDS system

I have a DDS system that must communicate with external systems created by a third party.  I have the freedom to define the messaging going into and out of the DDS system, but the third party does not want to use DDS (even though we have encouraged it).   The third party wants to commicate with my system via UDP datagrams.  What is the best way interface with this non-DDS system?  I spent some time looking at the RTI Routing Service Adapter which seems like a really good fit, but, unfortunately, my architecture is not x86.  I suppose I could define my messages in IDL and then use rtiddsgen to create stand-alone serializers/deserializers, and have used the serializers effectively, but have been able to get the deserializers to work.  Any suggestions on approaches, or deserialization examples would be greatly appreciated.

Gerardo Pardo's picture

Hi,

I think combining the use of a RTI Routing Service adapter with the Serialization/Deserialization functions that rtiddsgen creates is a good way to proceed.  Take a look at this other forum thread: http://community.rti.com/forum-topic/comparing-generated-c-classes there I included an example on how to call the Serialization functions generated by rtiddsgen directly from a program. Calling the deserialization functions should be similar.

Gerardo

Thanks, Gerardo.  In the release notes, it looks like the RTI Routing Service is only available on i86, x64, and ARM7 platforms.  What are my options if I'm not using any of these platforms?

Gerardo Pardo's picture

Hello Chris,

The RTI Routing Service is built using the same core DDS libraries and operating system APIs as the core DDS product. So in principle it should be reasonably straightforward to support any other platform that our core product supports.  Our approach has been to release it on the most common Windows and Linux platforms, but we can also do it for other platforms on demand. It just requires a build and a validation test on our side. 

What platforms are you interested in?  Are you already in touch with someone in our field organization? If not I can put you in touch with the appropriate person that can answer this kind of question more definitely that I could.

Gerardo

Sounds like I may need a custom build of the RTI Routing Service.  I'll check with our purchasers to see which RTI representative they've worked with in the past.  Thanks for your suggestions - your comments have been very helpful.