Raspberry Pi, DDS & JAVA

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Raspberry Pi, DDS & JAVA

Dear All,

I would like to compile Java applications utilising RTI Connext and run them on the Raspberry Pi. My (limited) understanding is that this is not currently possible due to current Java implementation on the Pi. My question is: will this change with the release of the new JDK supporting hard-float on Linux ARM? Or are there any other ways my goal can be achieved?

Thanks for your time.

Ryan.

Fernando Garcia's picture

Hello Ryan,

When we released our experimental port for Raspberry Pi, we focused on adding support for the hard-float version of Raspbian, so we did not add Java support. Currently, we do not support JDK 8 for any platform, but we could run some tests on the Raspberry Pi.

Have you already installed JDK 8 on Raspbian?

Fernando.

Hi Fernando, thanks for your reply.

I have installed the JDK8 for ARM Early Access (https://jdk8.java.net/fxarmpreview/javafx-arm-developer-preview.html) on the 2012-12-16 hard-float Raspbian release. 

I haven't run any tests yet, will report back tomorrow when I do. Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Ryan

Hi Fernando,

I have confirmed JDK8 working on the Pi with non-DDS tests, I have also followed your helpful instructions for getting DDS applications compiled and running on the Pi, albeit limted to C/C++. I have reached the limits of my experience in knowing where to go next, perhaps you can help?

Many thanks,

Ryan.

Hello Ryan,

I will be running some tests this week on my Raspberry Pi using JDK8. Even though currently RTI Connext does not support JDK 8, I want to find out if our experimental build has compatibility issues. 

I will keep you posted on the results.

Thanks,
Fernando.

Great, I look forward to hearing the results.

Thanks,

Ryan.

Hello Ryan,

We have just released a new version of our experimental port of RTI Connext DDS for Raspberry Pi. This new release adds experimental support for Java (JDK 8 Build b98) and some bug fixes.

I have updated the HOWTO document with specific instructions on how to run and compile DDS Java applications on the Raspberry Pi. Please, let me know if you find any issues running the example.

Best,
Fernando.