RTI Monitor -- not discovering any topics on Linux

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Frank J. Crow's picture
RTI Monitor -- not discovering any topics on Linux

I've recently installed RTI DDS 4.5d on a RHEL 5.4 machine.   Whenever I run RTI Monitor, I am able to see all the hosts and participantsand such that I would expect to see.   Except that it never discovers any topics.   Even if I run the RTI shapes demo.   Same thing.

Oh and I never get any statistics in the Status Panel.

Funny thing though, if I click that "Create New SYstem Types Table" -- I do see the types that I'm expecting, but with a question mark for the Key column and blanks everywhere else.   I'm not even sure what that table is even for.

Any ideas on what's going on, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

Frank

AttachmentSize
Image icon RTI_Monitor_Shot.JPG135.55 KB
Organization:
Frank J. Crow's picture

Apparently, this came from a colleague that talked to an "RTI field engineer."   You have to have your application linked with the RTI monitor libraries or it won't discover the topics.    That doesn't really sound a lot like "discovery", if you ask me.   Also that makes the tool just about useless for what were wanting.

Thanks anyway,

Frank

Gerardo Pardo's picture

If you are are linking RTI DDS using dynamic libraries and have access to the filesystem and configuration of the application then you can enable the monitoring instrumentation without re-compiling the code by modifying the XML configuration file that the application loads when it starts. This is described in section 3.1 of the "RTI Monitoring Library Getting Started"

If you are not able to do the above you can always use "RTI Analyzer" this tool will not give you as much information as RTI Monitoring but will work even if your executables are not instrumented.

Regards,

-Gerardo

ken
ken's picture

Frank, Monitor does require an instrumentation package (the monitoring library) to be run along with the application(s) that you want to monitor. As Gerardo points out, this can be added in later for most cases (but not for statically-linked C/C++ applications). If you haven't enabled this library, then most of the panels of Monitor will not have useful information (as you've described). Monitor, does, however, display what information it knows which is why the types table was partially filled in. This is because it discovered the data types through DDS discovery and so has some information about the types. This information is combined with the monitoring library topic data to fill in the rest of the table.

Also, as Gerardo describes, if adding the monitoring library is not possible, you can use our Analyzer tool. It shows only information gathered from DDS discovery (and what else it can derive from that data).

Could you describe your use case further? I'd be happy to help guide you through the use of this and other RTI tools to achieve your desired result.