[SOLVED] rticonnextdds-connector - Windows support

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
[SOLVED] rticonnextdds-connector - Windows support

Our team would like to develop a DDS Python application in Windows using the rticonnextdds-connector APIs.  It looks like there is no support for Windows - will there be future support for the Windows platform ?

Also, from the documentation it seems rticonnextdds-connector has not been formally released yet.  What are the limitations of using rticonnextdds-connector now for DDS application development ?

Thanks!

gianpiero's picture

Hi Gene,

Thanks for looking into the rticonnextdds-connector!!

RTI Connector is an experimental project developed in research. So far we did not have the need to use it on windows but, there is not a specific reason on why windows shound not work. The goal is to support all major architectures, windows included.

Unfortunately I cannot give you an exact time-line. 

Do you mind explaining a bit your use case, so i can talk a bit more precisily about possible limitations?

Cheers,
  Gianpiero

Hi Gianpiero,

How difficult would it be to provide an early-release rticonnextdds-connector Windows support library ?

Our needs are pretty simple for this Python Application.  We will need to create the basic DDS entities such as Domain Participants, Publishers, Subscribers and Data Readers/Writers.  We'd probably want to use the Listeners with our Data Readers as well.  All of this would be using the standard UDP transport. 

Gene

gianpiero's picture

Hi Gene,

I was able to get the python connector to work on windows. I used python 2.7 on a 32 bit machine. I tried both win xp and win 7. The connector native library i am using are for i86Win32VS2010. 

Ipushed the library and update python code on github. So what you have to do is:

git clone https://github.com/rticommunity/rticonnextdds-connector

Once downloaded, step into this directory:

cd rticonnextdds-connector\examples\python

and execute in the first cmd prompt:

python node\writer.py

and in the other cmd prompt:

python node\reader.py

You should be able to write and read. (see image below). 

Please, let me know once you tested.

Regards,
  Gianpiero

screenshot

This is great!  Thanks for getting this implemented so quickly.

I was able to reproduce your test results on my Windows 7 system.   We are able to proceed with developing the Python application now :)

gianpiero's picture

Gene,

I am not sure if you are interested in connector for nodejs on windows, but i just added support for it. I tested on win 64 bit with VS 2013.

Best,
 Gianpiero