DDS 5.2 Install on deployment machine

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
DDS 5.2 Install on deployment machine

I am upgrading from DDS 5.1 to 5.2 on a RHEL system for our deployment machine install. 

My question is that now in DDS 5.2 it seems that the host is needed to be installed to install the target files. Is there something I am missing to be able to install the target files without the host, or is this now the only way possible to install the target files is to also install the host?

Fernando Garcia's picture

Hi Jason,

RTI Connext DDS 5.2.0 introduced the concept of rtipkgs to distribute add-ons the base installation (i.e., the host installation), which include target files, additional transports, and other products. The rtipkginstall tool uses information contained in the packages to determine that the version it is installing is compatible with the base installation, update the installation log, etc.

If you have a deployment machine or installation path that does not follow RTI's directory structure. You can keep a separate RTI Connext DDS installation and synchronize target files into the shipping location. Alternatively, since in 5.2.0 rtipkg files are zip files, you could "unzip" the target package and deploy the files it contains. However, it is not guaranteed that rtipkg files will continue being zip files in future releases, so I would go with option one.

If you want to deploy something more complex than just the target libraries (e.g., services such as Routing or Recording Service), there is a knowledge base article that explains the files that need to be copied into a shipping location.

Let me know if this answers your question,

Fernando.

Fernando,

The enviroment we are in does not allow us to have a lot of things that are included in the host (example files, executables that are not approved, things of that nature). So now there is now way besides extracting the files, to install target files and which may be broken in the future to do this or to basically install the host and keep deleting files that we can guess don't affect our programs functionallity with DDS?

Fernando Garcia's picture

Hi Jason,

The problem I see is that given your constraints you would not be able to intall the host either, since it is a binary that extracts a bunch of files you may not have approval to install. So even if it were guaranteed that an rtipkg file will always be zip files that you can extract, you would not be able to extract things from the binary host installers (e.g, RTI Connext DDS's header files).

Do you have any machine in which you can install and keep a regular RTI installation? It would then be simple to copy only the files you are authorized to ship from that machine into your restricted development/deployment environment. That would also make it simpler for you to install patches, and so on.

Fernando.

Gerardo Pardo's picture

What parts if DDS are needed for your deployment?

Are you just running pre-compiled DDS applications? Or do you need to rebuild applications on the deployment machines?

Gerardo

Fernando,

That is what I did eventually end up doing with copying the files over from another machine we can use to get the files off of with a full DDS install, I wasn't sure if that was the "correct" solution but it seems to be. Thanks for the guidance!

Gerado,

The jars (ndds I belive is all that we neeeded), target files, and DDS spy and ping in case we ever have to debug on the production machine. Yes they are pre compiled we basically deliver jars to the customer.