Failure to install on Windows with npm

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Failure to install on Windows with npm

I attached a screenshot.

I tried to install rticonnextdds-connector with npm yet it fails. It says something about node-gyp. I saw that we should use VS Express 2013 so I tried using node within that to install it as well and it failed with the same issue. I'm trying to install VS 2013 now to try that.

I also tried downloading the master source that way and installing it.

I'm on Windows 7 64 bit. Please let me know what I should do because I'm very unsure afer googling, etc.

Thanks!

AttachmentSize
Image icon failure.png52.8 KB
gianpiero's picture

Hello,

Thanks for attaching the screenshot and for trying out the connector. The rticonnextdds-connector has some dependencies. You can see them here. Looking at the log i see that the error happens when npm is trying to install the ref npm module. 

The error is: "unable to get local issuer certiciate". I don't think this is an error with the connector or with npm but just a windows configuration. I think you may have to modify the security option of your machine. I found the following link that may be helpful to you for solving the issue:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13913941/how-to-fix-ssl-certificate-error-when-running-npm-on-windows

Best,
  Gianpiero

Gianpiero,

Thanks for the quick reply. Agreed and I think I got the dependencies set now. So I tried your suggestion because yes there was a firewall between my machine and the outside world and that seemed to fix the error for npm.

However I've still run into a similar issue. For example I am now working at home so there is absolutely nothing in the way of installing on windows 7 64 bit and all the other packages I install work fine.

Even when I try to do npm install ref by itself it bombs out. It appears that many people have felt this same pain when working with node-gyp related packages on windows. Like you said in the documentation it appears that there is something funky about how this only works inside visual studio with npm. Is that really the only way you think this will work? I do not have Windows 10 for example. I did download VS 2013 and VS 2013 Express. I suppose I can try working within that environment next. Let me know if you have any other suggestions.

Thanks again for the help.

JJ

File Attachments: 

So good news I think I figured it out.

I got node-gyp rebuilt after installing its dependencies and that seemed to be what was holding things back. It appears to me that the rti connextdds has now built!

JJ

gianpiero's picture

Hi JJ,

I agree with you: windows is not the nicest when it comes to node. I am not a windows user myself but i am glad you figured it out. Let me know if there is any other way i can help with the connector. 

Regards,
  Gianpiero