Compatibility of Connext Micro with DESTINATION_ORDER QoS

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Compatibility of Connext Micro with DESTINATION_ORDER QoS

The documentation explains that Connext Micro supports only BY_RECEPTION_TIMESTAMP for the DESTINATION_ORDER QoS. Thus, a Micro application will be able to receive data from a full-DDS application with BY_SOURCE_TIMESTAMP, but not send data to this application.

I suppose that this limitation of Micro is a tradeoff to limit the need for computation in the DataReaders when receiving data. However, I think also that sending a sample does not require the same amount of computation. So, could we imagine making possible the use of BY_SOURCE_TIMESTAMP for DataWriter side, and only restrain the DESTINATION_ORDER QoS to BY_RECEPTION_TIMESTAMP for DataReaders?

Best regards.

Jean-François

Any comment?

It seems that Connext Micro does not provide any API to modify this QoS. Maybe a change in its source code could be done to modify the value to BY_SOURCE_TIMESTAMP on the DataWriter side?

Jesus Checa's picture

Hi Jean-François,

I'm glad to say that we included the support for  DestinationOrderQosPolicy in Connext Micro 2.4.10. Currently, only the DataWriter supports DDS_BY_SOURCE_TIMESTAMP_DESTINATIONORDER_QOS. You can refer to the corresponding section in the documentation to find more about this.

Remember that in Connext Micro all the QoS have to be set programmatically. To configure it, just append to your dw_qos before creating the DataWriter:

dw_qos.destination_order.kind = DDS_BY_SOURCE_TIMESTAMP_DESTINATIONORDER_QOS;

I think this will fit your needs.

-Jesus