CL.EXE missing error when compiling RTI Perftest

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
CL.EXE missing error when compiling RTI Perftest

Hi!

I keep running into this error when building the rti perftest. I run the following command to build it:

build.bat --platform x64Win64VS2017 --java-build

I have read on some posts to run a file called vcvarsall.bat. However, I can't seem to find it. I have installed visual studio 2019 and I can't find the file named "vc".

================================== PERFTEST: ===================================

[INFO]: Generating types and makefiles for java
INFO com.rti.ndds.nddsgen.Main Running rtiddsgen version 3.0.0, please wait ...
ERROR com.rti.ndds.nddsgen.Main Fail:  java.lang.Exception: The preprocessor 'CL.EXE' cannot be found in your path.
If your IDL file contains preprocessor directives, be sure that 'CL.EXE'
is in your path or specify an alternative preprocessor through the use of the
flag -ppPath.
If your IDL file doesn't contain preprocessor directives you can disable the
use of the preprocessor using the flag -ppDisable
INFO com.rti.ndds.nddsgen.Main Done (failures)
[ERROR]: Failure generating code for java.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Blitz3r

The location moves around from release to release. Try here. An alternative may be to launch a Visual Studio command prompt, which pre-configures the environment also.

Regards,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Thank you for getting back so soon.

I tried looking for the file but I don't seem to find the "build" folder within the "Auxiliary" folder.

Alternatively, I tried running the command inside the "Developer Command Prompt for VS 2019" and I ran into the same error.

Any potential solutions are much appreciated!

Thanks,

Blitz3r

Hi Blitz3r,

As an aside, have you tried the suggestion from the error text to use the -ppDisable option? Also, while I have no specific reason to believe Visual Studio 2019 will not work, it's not specifically supported by RTI at this time.

I installed VS 2019 Pro for a quick test, and launched the "Developer Command Prompt for VS 2019". rtiddsgen from Connext 6.0.0 ran successfully with a test IDL file. If you launch the developer command prompt and type "cl", does it work? Are you certain that the C++ development component is installed?

Z:\test>"C:\Program Files\rti_connext_dds-6.0.0\bin\rtiddsgen.bat" -example x64Win64VS2017 test.idl
INFO com.rti.ndds.nddsgen.Main Running rtiddsgen version 3.0.0, please wait ... 
INFO com.rti.ndds.nddsgen.Main Done 
Z:\test>cl
Microsoft (R) C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 19.20.27508.1 for x86 
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
usage: cl [ option... ] filename... [ /link linkoption... ]

Regards,

Tom

Hi Tom,

I decided to uninstall Visual Studio 2019 and install Visual Studio 2017. Surprisingly it now works! Thank you for all your help. It is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Blitz3r

Hi Blitz3r, 

I'm glad to hear that works. You should be on more solid footing with VS 2017, as it is officially supported by Connext.

Regards,

Tom