3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Basic source compilation rti-connext

Hi, 

We have an SDK prepared for our board , which has the following specifications 

Linux Kernel: 4.9.65

Glibc :2.19

gcc version: 6.1.0

And the system that i am working on is Ubuntu 18.04. 

The whole ideas was to compile ROS2 with rti-connext on my pc (ubuntu 18.04) to the platform that i have mentioned above. I have registered myself for 30 days evalution licence and was directed to the download page (rti_connext_dds-6.0.1-eval-i86Linux3gcc4.8.2.run ...etc) .

1. Should I download  RHEL 7, Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (kernel 3.x, gcc 4.8.2) or and run the executable or REHL 8, Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (kernel 4.x, gcc 7.3.0) .

2. Once the script is executed , should I copy all the files from rti_connext_dds-6.0.1 folder that has been created  in my home directory during the installation to the sdk folder for cross compile ros2 ?

Or Do i need to get rti-connext source code and cross compile on to my SDK and then compile ROS2 ?

Thanks

irwin's picture

Bhanu,

Given that you are on a Ubuntu 18-04 I would suggest that you ask for the Ubuntu 18-04 evaluation if you are on a 64 bit system.

That download is rti_connext_dds-6.0.1-eval-x64Linux4gcc7.3.0.run. If not I would revert to your RHEL7 and install the eval you have. Once you install RTI DDS you should not copy it. You shold be able to reference it by setting the RTI system variables like NDDSHOME. You mention cross compile. You are really compiling using our host libraries. So you need not build RTIDDS from source.

Irwin

To add to Irwin's response,  in the case of ROS2, Connext 5.3.1 is the currently supported RMW.    This will no doubt change in the near-future when Connext 6.0.x is integrated.

For now,  the instructions on how to retrieve an Evaluation copy  of Connext 5.3.1, and how it integrates into ROS2,  is detailed here:

https://index.ros.org/doc/ros2/Installation/Install-Connext-University-Eval/