Does RTI Connext DDS support Hololens 1or2 development?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Does RTI Connext DDS support Hololens 1or2 development?

Hello

I want to know if RTI DDS support any form of development for Microsoft AR goggles Hololens 1 or Hololens 2?

Is it possible that I can build the application with Unity in C#, and is able to deploy into Hololens?

My goal is to use AR goggle as a platform to run subscriber to catch the information from computer, through the wireless connection ability of Hololens. But the internet gives no such result for this question.

If there are indeed some methods to achievement this, do I need a license? Do I need to use another dedicated library?

Regards,

Jack

Keywords:
Howard's picture

So, from what I can tell, Hololens 1 uses a modified Windows 10 on an Intel Atom processor.  Since Windows on Intel is a supported platform for RTI Connext DDS, i.e., there are libraries that work on that OS/CPU combination, then theoretically, you can run applications that use DDS on that.  However, to use Unity, you would need to use RTI Connector in order to program in C#.  The existing C# API for RTI Connext DDS doesn't work in Unity, but RTI is creating and releasing a .NET Core-based C# API that will work with Unity sometime at the end of the year, beginning of 2021.  Right now, you would have to use the experimental/unsupported RTI Connector service that you could download from Github (still requires RTI Connext DDS under the hood).

As for Hololens 2....Microsoft changed the CPU from Intel to an ARM-based CPU (Qualcom's Snapdragon).  However, RTI does not currently support Windows on ARM...in which case, you would not be able to run RTI Connext DDS on Hololens 2 at this time.

Finally, RTI Connext DDS is a commercial product.  While you can get a 30-day evaluation license to try out RTI Connext DDS, if you are using it in a project, you will need to get a commercial license.  You can get a download of RTI Connext DDS and 30-day evaluation license by going to https://www.rti.com/free-trial.

RTI does also offer RTI Connext DDS Micro which is a source-code product and theoretically could be compiled by the user for any OS/CPU.  However, Connext Micro does not have a C# API.  You would have to program in C or C++ and create a custom C# wrapper to use in Unity.  Connext Micro is also a licensed product and you would have to have a commercial project to get an evaluation.  Please contact sales@rti.com if you're interested.

Thank you for the reply, I will be looking into these informations!