"No Subscribers" pub error message, but topic and data sent/received

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
"No Subscribers" pub error message, but topic and data sent/received

Running 2 applications on a single workstation.

Each application is a domain participant in a common single domain.

One domain participant reads all the topics, one writes the topics.

Each publication results in a "no subscribers" error message, yet the topic and its data are received by the reader.

RTI Admin tool shows good connectivity and no inconsistencies for the topics.

Is there a way to determine what I don't have set up correctly?  Why the error message, and how to fix?

Thank you in advance,

John U

Raytheon Co.

Organization:
Keywords:

One quick experiment that might help determine the cause is to just run the publishing application and subscribe to the publish topic with Admin Console.  With Admin Console being the subscriber,  does your publisher still produce that error message?

Depending on the results of this test,  we can continue by adding checks such as on_publication_matched / on_subscription_matched to make sure there is subscribing end point before you publish the sample. 

Note:   I will inform the Account Manager in your region that you are having problems,  we might be able to point you to some additional information. 

Howard's picture

What do you mean by a "no subscribers" message?  That's not typically a message that is produced by the Connext DDS API.

Can you copy/paste the entire error message that you see?

Is this message coming from an application layer on top of Connext DDS?

Hi Howard,

Thank you for your rapid response - much appreciated.

Yes, it is possible that there is some interface layer in our App that is layered on top of Connext, and that extra interface layer could be responsible for the error message.

Searching through our main codebase, I don't see the code that would produce the error.  However, there are multiple libraries our code creates and uses, and it could be buried deeper than the original search looked for.

It is helpful that you mentioned that Connext DDS does not typically produce such an error string.  That certainly ups the odds that its in some sort of layered code in our App that rests on Connext.

The exact text that occurs upon topic publication is "No Subscribers", and "Error publishing xyz Message".

Regards,

John U

Hi Howard,

After more investigation, I believe that this issue lies in our code, not in RTI DDS.   I do appreciate the support, and thank you.   Please feel free to close this ticket at your convenience.

Sincerely,

John U

Howard's picture

Hi John,

No worries.  BTW, this is not an official support channel for RTI.  It's a open technical forum where members share and help each other.  So, no concept of opening or closing a support ticket...nor guarantees of resolution of any questions/issues brought up.

If you're looking for an official support channel with an SLA for guaranteed response, your project probably has a support agreement with RTI and with it, supported developers on the project can use the RTI customer portal to open support request which RTI's support team will respond to promptly and thoroughly.