Excel toolbar

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Excel toolbar

I followed the procedure to install the Excel plugin according to the documentation (using exe and not the msi, etc). When

I start Excel, it reports that the RTI plugin initialized OK, but the RTI toolbar does not show up in the Add-ins tab. I have tried

to uninstall and re-install a few time, but still cannot get the tool bar to appear in the Excel tab. 

The setup is Connext 4.5f with Microsoft Excel 2010 on Windows 7.

Any tips will be welcomed.

Thanks

Organization:
rip
rip's picture

Hi,

The Excel plug-in is one of the license-managed tools. 

Where is the license file?  Try placing it in the install directory (%NDDSHOME%/..)

Regards,

Rip

Hi Nico,

It could also be related to the version of Excel. Are you running Excel 64-bit or Excel 32-bit? We don't support Excel 64-bit yet with Spreadsheet Add-in.

Regards,

Juanlu

Software Engineer
RTI

Hi Juanlu,

It must be Excel 32-bit, because it was working before. Also, the license file is installed and the environment variable points to it. All the 

other RTI tools can find it. It just stopped working and I went through a few unistall/install cycles already. When Excel starts up, a message on 

the botttom bar of Excel indicates that the RTI plugin loaded OK (or initilaized). The toolbar is just missing.

Thanks

Nico

Ok, I set the verbosity log level to 4 in RTIExcelAddin.ini and got the output below. It seems the toolbar buttons are disable

for some reason. How do I enable it for the plugin ?

Thanks

Nico.

------------------------------------------------ Output of RTIExcelAddin.log ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INFO [3/13/2013 11:49:10 AM] (RTIExcelAddin.OnStartupComplete -> RTIExcelAddin.init) RTI Spreadsheet Add-in for Microsoft Excel 4.5f - Starting
INFO [3/13/2013 11:49:11 AM] (RTIExcelAddin.OnStartupComplete -> RTIExcelAddin.init) Running with configuration:
DDSConfig::DomainId: 0
DDSConfig::PeerHost:
DDSConfig::QosLibrary: ExcelQosLib
DDSConfig::QosProfile: DefaultProfile
DDSConfig::AutoStartDDS: no
DDSConfig::ThrottleInterval: 200
DDSConfig::AutoPublishTimer: 0
Logging::Verbosity: 4
Logging::OverwriteLogFile: yes
Logging::LogFile: C:\Users\jnswart\Documents\RTI\RTI Spreadsheet Add-in for Microsoft Excel 4.5f\RTIExcelAddin.log
Logging::DynDataMaxSerialized: 4294967295
Filters: [ ]
DEBUG [3/13/2013 11:49:11 AM] (RTIExcelAddin.init -> DDS2ExcelToolbar.CreateToolbar) Toolbar: got CommandBars object
DEBUG [3/13/2013 11:49:11 AM] (RTIExcelAddin.init -> DDS2ExcelToolbar.CreateToolbar) Toolbar: Excel 2007 detected: using standard toolbar
DEBUG [3/13/2013 11:49:11 AM] (DDS2ExcelToolbar.CreateToolbar -> DDS2ExcelToolbar.createButton) Toolbar: created button RTI Config
DEBUG [3/13/2013 11:49:11 AM] (DDS2ExcelToolbar.CreateToolbar -> DDS2ExcelToolbar.createButton) Toolbar: created button RTI Monitor Topic
DEBUG [3/13/2013 11:49:11 AM] (DDS2ExcelToolbar.CreateToolbar -> DDS2ExcelToolbar.createButton) Toolbar: created button RTI Add Subscription
DEBUG [3/13/2013 11:49:11 AM] (DDS2ExcelToolbar.CreateToolbar -> DDS2ExcelToolbar.createButton) Toolbar: created button RTI Add Publication
DEBUG [3/13/2013 11:49:11 AM] (DDS2ExcelToolbar.CreateToolbar -> DDS2ExcelToolbar.createButton) Toolbar: created button RTI Publish Now
DEBUG [3/13/2013 11:49:11 AM] (DDS2ExcelToolbar.CreateToolbar -> DDS2ExcelToolbar.createButton) Toolbar: created button RTI Update Now
DEBUG [3/13/2013 11:49:11 AM] (DDS2ExcelToolbar.CreateToolbar -> DDS2ExcelToolbar.createButton) Toolbar: created button RTI Monitor Domain
DEBUG [3/13/2013 11:49:11 AM] (DDS2ExcelToolbar.CreateToolbar -> DDS2ExcelToolbar.createButton) Toolbar: created button Start RTI Add-in
DEBUG [3/13/2013 11:49:11 AM] (DDS2ExcelToolbar.CreateToolbar -> DDS2ExcelToolbar.createButton) Toolbar: created button Off
DEBUG [3/13/2013 11:49:11 AM] (RTIExcelAddin.init -> DDS2ExcelToolbar.CreateToolbar) Toolbar creation succesful
DEBUG [3/13/2013 11:49:11 AM] (RTIExcelAddin.init -> RTIExcelAddin.EnableToolbarButtons) Entering DDS2Excel::RTIExcelAddin::EnableToolbarButtons
DEBUG [3/13/2013 11:49:11 AM] (RTIExcelAddin.OnStartupComplete -> RTIExcelAddin.init) Add-in init: toolbar buttons disabled
INFO [3/13/2013 11:49:11 AM] (Connect.OnStartupComplete -> RTIExcelAddin.OnStartupComplete) RTI Spreadsheet Add-in for Microsoft Excel 4.5f loaded OK
INFO [3/13/2013 11:49:11 AM] (Connect.OnStartupComplete -> RTIExcelAddin.OnStartupComplete) RTI Add-in for Microsoft Excel startup succeeded

Hi Nico,
That's interesting. I thought that you couldn't see the "Addins" tab in the Excel ribbon and thus no access at all to the DDS Add-in.

I think the problem could be related to the Auto-start DDS setting in your initial configuration.

DDSConfig::AutoStartDDS: no

This setting is used to decide if the DDS infrastructure and the buttons are enabled during Excel startup or not. You can try and set this to "yes" in your configuration file (the same RTIExcelAddin.ini file in your "Documents" folder, which you modified for the logging level). In addition, you should *always* be able to see the "Start RTI Add-in" button as enabled. Clicking that button should enable the rest of the buttons in the toolbar.

Is this the case? Can you confirm the behaviour above?

Thanks,

Juanlu

Software Engineer
RTI

David Barnett's picture

Hi Nico,

Another thing to check is that, under View > Toolbars, RTI Spreadsheet Add-in 4.5f is checked (and no other version of the RTI add-in is checked).

Regards,

David

Hi Juanlu and David,

I tried your suggestions, without success. I am beginning to suspect it has something to do with security software

that our company install on the PC's. The toolbar dissapeared some weeks ago when I also had a series of problems

with other applications related to security software. Those issues are now resolved, but the toolbar will not come back.

Uninstall/reinstall does not work. Is there maybe a registry setting that needs to be restored ? Or anything related to security ?

Regards

Nico.

Hello,

I got the same issue with Excel 2010 : init ok but no toolbar.

Boris

rose's picture

Hello borlec, 

There are several possible reasons for the Spreadsheet Add-in not showing up in Excel.

• Language package missing: Because of Microsoft issue KB320369 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320369), Spreadsheet Add-in will not work at all in computers with a locale different than English (United States). In order to fix this issue, a Microsoft Office Language Pack has to be installed for the corresponding locale in the client machine. See the Release Notes section 3.1 for more details on how to install the language pack if this is the issue.
  • Date set to Non-US format: If your system Date&Time is not set to be US one, the Spreadsheet will not show up. Changing it in Control Panel --> Clock,Language, and Region --> Region --> Change date, time, or number format. Make sure the Format is "English (United States)".
  • Missing license: Follow the instructions in section 2.3 to install the license in a correct location.
  • User different than the installation one: The first time you use the Spreadsheet Add-in with a new user, you will need to enable the add-in for that user. Follow the instructions in Section 2.1.

Thank you!

Rose

Hi, 

By appling Rule 2;  RTI for the Spreadsheet Add-in not showing up in Excel 2013 French Edition.

Rule 2: Date set to Non-US format: If your system Date&Time is not set to be US one, the Spreadsheet will not show up. Changing it in Control Panel --> Clock,Language, and Region --> Region --> Change date, time, or number format. Make sure the Format is "English (United States)".

Same here, I got the same issue with Excel 2010

The add in shows in Inactive Add-ins Application List. When I attempt to enable it can not foind the right addin file. Where should I point it to. It is looking for mscoree.dll Excel 2010_English)