Can I use Mono to build/run RTI Connext applications?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Can I use Mono to build/run RTI Connext applications?

Hi

I have got some errors running the simple_Hello example in Mono.  Can I use Mono to build/run RTI Connext applications?

Thanks a lot

Pablo

sara's picture

Hi Pablo,

There seems to be a customer working with that environment. They presented their work in one of our User Groups: https://community.rti.com/forum-topic/presentations-london-connext-conference-2014

I'll ask around to see if someone has an example that we can share with you.

Thanks,

Sara

sara's picture

Hi again,

Our current C# API depends on C++/CLI, so it will not work in Mono as it is. The customer working with Mono created their own C# wrapper. The code belonged to that customer. If you are insterested on it, please send us an email (sales-emea@rti.com) and we can look into this directly with the customer.

Thanks,

Sara

rip
rip's picture

Hiya,

The 3d party Mono native interface was a subset of the complete C API.  They only implemented as much as was necessary for their purposes. 

Their comments were on the order of "it wasn't much trouble/was straightforward", but you have to admit that we don't know how much experience they had with writing Mono native interface libraries.

So if you a) understand how the Mono native interface "wiring" happens (I can not be sure they were using pinvoke, however that seems like the most likely method), you could quickly spin up a working integration, but b) how much time you will need to invest in it, will depend on how complete an integration you are looking for and how many architectures you want to support.

rip