Supported platforms/environment for NodeJS RTI Connext

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Supported platforms/environment for NodeJS RTI Connext

Hi all,

I'm looking to use RTI Connext in a NodeJS environment. I couldn't find a list of supported platforms/versions so went ahead and tried a few cominbations (Windows, Ubuntu, Node v0.10 and v0.12) but have experienced various build errors when trying to npm install rticonnextdds-connector. Before I get carried away troubleshooting them could someone please describe a known-working environment and versions etc. so I have a better starting point?

Many thanks,

Ryan.

Fernando Garcia's picture

Hi Ryan,

RTI Connector for Connext DDS is not supported on Windows yet. It includes support for the following architectures:

• Linux 32- and 64-bit (RTI libraries built on i86Linux3.xgcc4.6.3 and x64Linux3.xgcc4.6.3 respectively)
  • OS X 64-bit (RTI libraries built on x64Darwin12clang4.1)
  • Android (RTI libraries built on armv7aAndroid2.3gcc4.8)

I do not know what versions of Node are supported. But please, share the build errors you encountered on Ubuntu so that we can help you troubleshoot them. Also, what version of Ubuntu are you using?

Thanks,
Fernando.

Hi Fernando,

Thanks for your reply. It seems that I experience node-gyp rebuild errors when the npm tries to install the dependencies. I get these errors across a variety of Debian, Ubuntu and Windows versions, x32 and x64, with node 0.10 and 0.12 - not sure what I am doing wrong.

Luckily I discovered, after stumbling around trying different things (I am not a developer), that if I npm install the dependencies manually and then just move the RTI Connector files into the same directory I am able to run the RTI software just fine in Ubuntu. Are there any plans to release Windows support?

A problem I have noticed when using the Node-Red node is a duplication of readers (and presumably writers?) on redeploy. Have any functions been exposed for disconnecting these entities?

Kind Regards,

Ryan

gianpiero's picture

Hello Ryan,

So far we are supporting: 

Can you share your node-gyp errors?

Reguarding the Windows support: yes. We will share support for windows, but I am not able to give you an exact timeline at the moment. 

For the Node-Red solution: you are right! If you use output port and input port, for now we don't share entities. But you can change the implementation if you like too. 

If you can, it will be great if you can share how are you using the connector and what you are ttying to do: I would love to learn more and gather your inputs. Let me know if you want to talk more.

Best,
  Gianpiero

Hi Gianpiero,

Sure - please see errors at the end of this message. Willing to send the full npm-debug.log if you wish. As I mentioned I can npm install ffi manually, just not from within the rticonnextdds-connector-master folder or via npm install rticonnextdds-connector. It is not a big problem for me now that I have a work-around.

Could you very briefly describe what would be necessary to change the implementation to disconnect/destroy old readers/writers on Node-Red redeploy? That way I can see if it is within my time/ability. If happy to discuss it further, perhaps you could contact me via e-mail?

Kind Regards,

Ryan

---

gyp ERR! build error
gyp ERR! stack Error: `make` failed with exit code: 2
gyp ERR! stack at ChildProcess.onExit (/usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/lib/build.js:269:23)
gyp ERR! stack at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:110:17)
gyp ERR! stack at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (child_process.js:1074:12)
gyp ERR! System Linux 3.19.0-15-generic
gyp ERR! command "node" "/usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/bin/node-gyp.js" "rebuild"
gyp ERR! cwd /home/ryan/rticonnextdds-connector-master/node_modules/ffi
gyp ERR! node -v v0.12.7
gyp ERR! node-gyp -v v2.0.1
gyp ERR! not ok
npm ERR! Linux 3.19.0-15-generic
npm ERR! argv "/usr/bin/node" "/usr/bin/npm" "install"
npm ERR! node v0.12.7
npm ERR! npm v2.11.3
npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE

npm ERR! ffi@1.2.7 install: `node-gyp rebuild`
npm ERR! Exit status 1
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Failed at the ffi@1.2.7 install script 'node-gyp rebuild'.

gianpiero's picture

Helo Ryan,

Thanks for sharing the details. The error you are seeing are related to FFI: we were pointing to a patch of FFI for a while because the original FFI did not support node v0.12 when we release. Now it does so I updated the package.json to point to the 'official' one. Here is the changelog [link].

Thanks for finding this out! 

Best,
  Gianpiero

gianpiero's picture

Hello,

I just added support for windows to the nodejs connector. I tested on Win 10 64 with VS 2013.

Best,
  Gianpiero