Error with DomainParticipant as a member

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Error with DomainParticipant as a member

I am just starting out with RTI Connext using Modern C++. I'm trying to make a class that has a DomainParticipant and some other stuff and am getting errors.

In Foo.h:

#include "dds/domain/DomainParticipant.hpp" 

class Foo {
public:
	Foo(int32_t domain);
private:
	dds::domain::DomainParticipant part;

And in Foo.cpp:

#include "Foo.h"

Foo::Foo(int32_t domain)
{ }

When I try to compile it (and remember there's literally nothing going on) I get an error at the constructor:

error C2248: 'dds::domain::TDomainParticipant<rti::domain::DomainParticipantImpl>::TDomainParticipant': cannot access private member declared in class 'dds::domain::TDomainParticipant<rti::domain::DomainParticipantImpl>'
C:\Program Files\rti_connext_dds-6.0.1\include\ndds\hpp\dds/domain/TDomainParticipant.hpp(127): note: see declaration of 'dds::domain::TDomainParticipant<rti::domain::DomainParticipantImpl>::TDomainParticipant'
C:\Program Files\rti_connext_dds-6.0.1\include\ndds\hpp\dds/domain/detail/domainfwd.hpp(36): note: see declaration of 'dds::domain::TDomainParticipant<rti::domain::DomainParticipantImpl>'

Any idea what might be going on?

Keywords:

A DomainParticipant and the Entity-derived objects need to be explicitly initialized; they don't provide a default constructor.

You can do this:

class Foo {
public:
	Foo(int32_t domain) : part(domain) {}
private:
	dds::domain::DomainParticipant part; 

Or:

class Foo {
public:
	Foo(int32_t domain) {
           // ...
           part = dds::domain::DomainParticipant(...); <- (2) assign a valid reference later on
           // ...  
        }  
private:
	dds::domain::DomainParticipant part = dds::core::null; // <- (1) assign an empty reference 

For more information, make sure to read the API basic conventions:

https://community.rti.com/static/documentation/connext-dds/6.0.1/doc/api/connext_dds/api_cpp2/group__DDSCpp2Conventions.html

That's exactly what I needed, thanks! Your first example fixed the problem I posted about, and the second fixed a different problem I was having where I wanted to initialize something outside of the constructor.