long id;
    long num;
    sequence<task> myTaskSeq;
};

struct myType {
    double speed;
    sequence<entity> myEntity; 
};

but in task struct,the cSeq's length is not sure,even for 0.

it will lead to takeup too much memory.

how can I improve this situation? 

Gerardo Pardo's picture

Hello,

The IDL you show above will produce erros when you run rtiddsgen on it. Sequences must be always templatized by the element-type. In addition it is possible to specify a maximum element count. If left unespecified the middleware defines a max element count of 100.

I have changed the IDL to the one shown below which can be parsed successfully by rtiddsgen.

struct task  {
    long a;
    long b;
    sequence cSeq;
};

struct entity {
    long id;
    long num;
    sequence myTaskSeq;
};

struct myType {
    double speed;
    sequence myEntity; 
};

I run rtiddsgen on the IDL above. Then I inserted the following code in the example application:

int maxSerialized = myTypePlugin_get_serialized_sample_max_size(
            NULL, RTI_FALSE, 0, 0);
    printf("maxSerialized = %d\n", maxSerialized);

When I run this I get a maxSerialized = 4121212 bytes (4.12.MB) . The reason is that if the maximum length of the sequence is unspecified, then the miffleware assumes a size of 100 elements. This may not sound like much, but when you nest a sequnce inside a sequence inside a sequence you are getting a maxsize ~ 100x100x100x side of innermost element. In this case the innermost element is a long (size 4) so we get a number in the order of 4x100x100x100 ~= 4MB

This is just the size of a single elememt. Depending on how you have configured (in terms of resource limits) your DataWriter and DataReader  you well get something like max_samples x  myTypePlugin_get_serialized_sample_max_size(...).  A max_samples of 1000 is not uncommon. If you did that you would get to 4GB of memory...

So this data-type is quote inneficient in terms of memory. Can you explain a little more of what you are trying to do? Khowing this perhaps we can suggest something more efficient way to define the data-types...

Regards,

Gerardo

hi Gerardo Pardo,

Sorry, I didn't make it clear.

I create a nested data structure which has many layers,like the above example. then,i have a mistake.It tell me is too larger,more than 3GB!

In fact,some of these sequences,don't need such a big length.

for exemple,the struct named task,may not have the property named cSeq.or the length of cSeq is very small!

The length   is dynamic.

what can i do for it? thank you very much!

i want to change the length of the sequences dynamic,but i don't know how to do!

Or  you  can give me other advice, will solve my problem.I'm enormously grateful for your help!!!

rip
rip's picture

Hi

when you create your IDL sequences without giving a count:

sequence<double> cSeq;

the default sequence length is 100.  So you are telling the type system you need a sequence which will hold a maximum of 100 doubles.  This default length is configurable at the command line.

If you give the sequence a value:

sequence<double, 5> cSeq;

You are telling the Type system that at most this cSeq sequence will need to hold 5 doubles.

When the cSeq is serialized, if it is empty, then NO SPACE is sent for that field.  So this is good use of bandwidth.

See

http://community.rti.com/rti-doc/500/ndds.5.0.0/doc/pdf/RTI_CoreLibrariesAndUtilities_UsersManual.html#page_40

http://community.rti.com/rti-doc/500/ndds.5.0.0/doc/pdf/RTI_CoreLibrariesAndUtilities_UsersManual.html#page_74 (section 3.3.1.1)

hi, what you said about the sequences i know.

now  i want to change the length dynamic.

because,the count of the cSeq  may be 5,but may be 500!

If i give the sequence a value:500!

the struct myType will too large more than 3G,becausethe nested structure!!!

felt mortified for this situation!

gianpiero's picture

Hello Christine, 

maybe this post can help: http://community.rti.com/comment/391#comment-391

Best,

Gianpiero