RTI Shapes Demo and RTPS2 protocol

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
RTI Shapes Demo and RTPS2 protocol

Hello,

I have two instances of the RTI Shapes Demo running on one PC while capturing RTPS2 packets.  I am able to see the PIDs in the DATA(r), (p), and (w).  However when I manipulate the position of the shapes on the publisher instance I do not see any RTPS2 packets containing the change of the shape's location even though it is being mirrored on the subscriber instance.  Is the location of the shape published on RTPS2 as well or are they being communicated differently in the Shapes Demo?

Thank you.

v/r,

marlo

Organization:
Gerardo Pardo's picture

Hi,

The  RTI Shapes Demo are communicating using RTPS2. However if they are in the same computer they send the RTPS2 packets over a shared-memory transport instead of the UDP/IP transport and therefore those packets are not captured by packet capture tools like Wireshark. The reason you see the DATA(r), (p), (w) packets is that they carry discovery traffic that is being sent to other computers on your network.

To capture your position update packets you will either need to run the Shapes Demo in two different computers, or alternatively disable the shared-memory transport.

To disable the shared-memory transport you can use the TRANSPORT_SELECTION Qos Policy on the DomainParticipant. This can be done editing the RTI_SHAPES_DEMO_QOS_PROFILES.xml file that is being loaded by the RTI Shapes Demo. You can access the  RTI_SHAPES_DEMO_QOS_PROFILES.xml  file directly from the Shapes Demo GUI by clicking on the "configuration" link and then on the "Manage Qos" button.

Placing the following XML snippet inside a <qos_profile> tag within RTI_SHAPES_DEMO_QOS_PROFILES.xml would disable the use of shared memory (by enabling only UDP) for that profile.

<participant_qos>
    <transport_builtin><mask>UDPv4</mask></transport_builtin>
</participant_qos>

Regards, Gerardo

Hi Mr Pardo,

Thank you for clarifying to me how the Shapes Demo operates in a single pc setting.  I have tried to find the RTI_SHAPES_DEMO_QOS_PROFILES.xml file and could not find it.  I have also tried to create the configuration files by running the CreateConfigurationFiles.exe in the RTI Shapes Demo 5.0.0 folder but outputted that it skipped the NDDS_QOS_PROFILES.xsd as well as the RTI_SHAPES_DEMO.xml and the RTI_SHAPES_DEMO_QOS_PROFILES.xml.  is there a configuration setup that I am not doing properly during the installation of the RTI Shapes Demo or is there a way to download the NDDS_QOS_PROFILES.xsd the RTI_SHAPES_DEMO.xml and the RTI_SHAPES_DEMO_QOS_PROFILES.xml files separately?

v/r,

marlo

gianpiero's picture

Hello Mario, 

I just tried version 5.0.0 on windows and the following files are installed in C:\Document and Settings\<username>\RTI\RTI Shapes Demo 5.0.0

• NDDS_QOS_PROFILES.xsd
  • RTI_SHAPES_DEMO.xml
  • RTI_SHAPES_DEMO_QOS_PROFILES.xml

Did you check in there? Can you please tell me wich version of shapes demo are you running?

Best,
  Gianpiero

Thank you Gianpiero, I did not check in that location.  The files are there.

v/r,

marlo